The Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan is one of the most popular top entry litter box models out there. Your cat enters from above and descends to its potty area which means less litter tracking. If you’re looking for a large and practical litter box that can help you reduce the amount of litter on the floor, keep on reading our review of the Petmate Top Entry box.
Table of Contents
- What is The Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan?
- Is this a good litter box for senior or physically-challenged cats?
- Does The Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan Really Prevent The Dog From Digging The Litter Box?
- Does it come with a liner?
- So, should you get the Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan?
What is The Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan?
The Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan allows the cat to enter the box from above without having to deal with a swinging door. You won’t have to deal with so much litter around the box. As an added bonus, cleaning the box is easier too. You don’t have to lift a cumbersome large hood. Just a lightweight flat plastic top.
Basically, there is a hole on top of the Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan where your cat enters. This opening is fairly large so passing through shouldn’t be a problem even for a large cat. Guess who can’t get in though? Fido! Top entry litter boxes are designed to prevent dogs from entering the box or sticking their head far enough to, ummm… taste what Kitty left behind. (Ewwww, we know, but hey, that’s dogs for you).
Features of the Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
Petmate is a major player in the field and you can tell a lot of thought and effort went into the design of the top entry model. Here are some useful features that it has –
- Built-in handles so cat owners won’t have to worry about moving it from one place to another. Of course, it’s still heavy once in use but the handles can help with dragging it around to adjust the location within your home.
- A hook on the side of the box where you can place your scoop for easier access.
- The top entry opening allows you to peek inside and check on the contents without removing the entire lid.
- A flat lid that’s easy to remove when scooping the box.
- Textured top to help release excess litter from Kitty’s paws.
- Actual holes in the top so that excess litter can find its way back into the box, helping you save on litter.
Is this a good litter box for senior or physically-challenged cats?
As for senior cats, it really depends. If your cat is fit and has no problem jumping on your kitchen counter, he or she should have no issue with using the Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan. One reviewer noted that his cat is already 12 years old and could still climb to the top of the product, get inside, do its business, and get out.
That said, if your aging kitty begins to experience joint pain this box won’ the a good fit for him or her. The same goes for other physical disability or limitation. Any cat that has issues with jumping, climbing and generally moving around basically falls into the same category in this respect. Only you know your cat and can judge whether or not a top entry box is a good choice for him/her.
Just keep in mind that with seniors, a cat who’s agile and active today could be experiencing problems tomorrow. You don’t want the first indication you get to be litter box avoidance. If your cat is old, consider offering at least one litter box that’s suitable for senior cats.
Will The Cat’s Head Stick Out? (And why that matters)
The Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan is just over 15 inches tall. Cats average 10 inches in height. You should factor in the layer of litter inside the box which should be no more than 2-3 inches. If you do the math (or just observe a cat using the Petmate Top Entry Pan, you’ll have your answer. Kitty’s head should be coming close to the top of the box but not sticking out.
Which can actually be a bit of a problem. If you read our discussion about covered vs. uncovered litter boxes, you should know that some cats have an issue with not being able to see who’s approaching the litter box while they’re using it. Some, but not all. If your cat doesn’t like covered litter boxes, the top entry ones may not be a good substitute.
Does The Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan Really Prevent The Dog From Digging The Litter Box?
One of the features that Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan boasts about is that it is designed to keep dogs from digging through the litter box. Many reviewers attest to how well this feature works. Larger dogs won’t fit inside the litter box and could only go as far as stick their head inside it. Which leaves them several inches away from the coveted content of the litter pan. Problem solved!
What about smaller dogs? An agile canine jumper could enter the litter box. In that case, you may need to consider a different solution such as gating the room where the litter box is.
Does it come with a liner?
You don’t have to get a liner but if you want to, there’s a special kind available for this box. While you could use very large trash bags as liners (some people do), the transparent liners specifically designed for this model are easier to use and look more elegant –
So, should you get the Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan?
If you’re looking for a top entry litter box, definitely consider this one. Petmate is a trusted brand name that constantly delivers quality products. This could be a good choice for you if –
- Your cat is healthy and has no mobility issues.
- You’re looking for a way to reduce litter tracking.
- There’s a dog in the area that needs to be kept away from the litter.
- KEEPS FLOORS LITTER-FREE: Top entry litter box is enclosed on all sides to keep litter from spilling onto the floor
- PROMOTES PRIVACY: Deep cat box is enclosed on all sides with high walls, allowing privacy for cats while keeping litter hidden from view
- TEXTURED LID: Includes a non-slip grate to collect litter from cats' paws as they exit the kitty litter box, keeping floors litter-free
- WIDE AND SPACIOUS: Top entrance of the covered litter box is wide enough to accommodate larger cats; ample room inside for cats to use the large cat litter box comfortably
- EASY TO CLEAN: Built-in handles and rounded edges allow pet parents to lift and pour from the enclosed litter box for convenient cleaning
If you owned or have owned this model, leave us a comment and let us know what you think about it.