People who are not cat owners are sometimes surprised to hear about the level of innovation and inventiveness (yes, that’s a word!) in the field of litter boxes (yeah, that’s a field!) The Tidy Cats Breeze litter box system is an awesome example cat companies, well, literally thinking outside the box! This is not a self-cleaning or even no-scooping box. It utilizes a totally different concept to offer a new approach in how to keep the litter box clean.
Table of Contents
What is The Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Box?
The Tidy Cats Breeze system uses a revolutionary concept for dealing with smelly cat pee. There are three components to the system –
- A litter pan with holes in it that acts like a sieve.
- Special pellets (instead of litter) that let liquid go through the bottom of the pan without leaving a residue.
- Disposable pads that soak up the urine without smelling. They live in a small drawer underneath the pan itself.
What about the poo? Well, you still have to scoop for solid waste as often as possible, and at least once a day. However, since the pellets are larger than litter and stay dry, the result is a cleaner floor around the box with no litter tracking.
With one cat using the box, you’re supposed to replace the pee pads once a week. You should still scoop daily but it’s usually easier to spot and clean up solids so this should be a quick enough task.
When you buy this product, you get a kit which includes all of the above, as well as a bonus color-matching scoop. Depending on the number of cats using the box, the pellets should last a few months and the pads for about a month.
What we loved about this box – other than the sheer innovative litter solution – is the hood. It’s made of two separate parts, connected with a hinge. That makes opening the box for cleaning super easy! You just swing the hood up and down – never having to disconnect it or lift anything.
This system comes with a hood but if your cat doesn’t like covered litter boxes you can always take it off or get the hood-less version of this box.
How do You Introduce The New Filtering Litter Pellets To Your Cats?
Cats are creatures of habit and one thing many cats dislike is a change in the texture of their litter. Switching a box (assuming you’re not changing its location) is usually easier than switching litter. If you’re going to switch to the Tidy Cats Breeze system, take the time to gradually introduce the new pellets to Kitty.
Mix a small amount of the new filtering litter pellets in the current litter that you’re using. At the same time, position the new Breeze system next to the old litter box, and set it up properly. With any luck, your cat will take to it quickly but it may take longer. Be patient and gradually increase the amount of new pellets in Kitty’s old litter until he gets the message that this is in fact a form of cat litter.
How do You Change The Disposable Pads?
The Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Box has this drawer-like feature at the bottom of the litter box. The pads are the exact size as the drawer so they fit perfectly. Make sure you change them as needed and don’t wait for too long as some owners report that when the pads get too soggy, they move around and urine leaks to the bottom of the drawer. Hey, even absorbent odor-locking pads have their limits!
How To Clean The Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Box
Just remember, this is not a self-cleaning box. You still need to make sure everything is clean, on a daily basis. As long as you follow the instructions, scoop daily and change the pads before they reach the limit of their soaking capacity, this system does need more cleaning than any other litter box.
Suggested cleaning frequencies for the Tidy Cats Breeze system when used with one cat –
- Scooping – daily.
- Disposable pads replacement – once a week.
- Changing the entire contents of the box and cleaning it – once every 3-6 months or as needed.
How Big is The Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Box?
The product comes in just one size. The dimensions are: 16.5″ x 21″ x 10.5″. That’s not very large for a box but should be ok for an average sized cat.
Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Box Pros & Cons
Having scooped through the reviews of this system, this is what reviewers liked the most –
- No smells – the absorbent pads do a good job.
- Easy to clean, thanks to the hinged cover.
- No litter tracking .
Getting past negative feedback relating to misusing the box, we were left with the following –
- The box may be too small for larger cats.
- Potential danger of a pet swallowing a pellet. This can happen if you have a dog who’s too interested in the box. Unlike litter, these pellets won’t dissolve and could potentially cause an obstruction.
- Purina Tidy Cats BREEZE Cat Litter System Starter Kit
- All-in-one litter system is easy to maintain
- Absorbent litter pads for mess-free cleanup
- Filtering litter pellets separate solid waste for easy removal
- Anti-tracking litter pellets minimize messes around each litter box